Click here for new electric service. 
Click here for new water/wastewater service. 

Our HBPW Electrical Engineering Department and Water/Wastewater Engineering Department are available to support your construction project. Please contact us as early as possible in your project, and to avoid delays and costly overruns, please review our construction guidelines. 

Electrical Service

Our staff provides services to customers, contractors and field crews including assistance and planning for the installation of electric service to homes, commercial and industrial facilities, and community infrastructure. We ensure projects meet the requirements of the National Electric Safety Code and any applicable city ordinances. Our Electrical Engineering Department is here to answer your questions and assist with your project. 

Water and Sewer

HBPW requires an application for all new water and wastewater connections. This allows us to contact you in the future for important issues such as a boil water advisory or water outage due to construction or other necessary maintenance. 

To being your connection process, please contact our Water/Wastewater Department to connect to the public water or wastewater systems. The process begins by determining if there is public water or sewer in your area.

If your property is one of the surrounding townships we serve: you will be directed to contact that township for assessments, service taps and inspections. 

If your property is within the Holland City limits: follow the process below. 

  • Holland BPW staff will perform a record search on the property to see if there are any unpaid assessments or trunkages (assessment and trunkage fees are adjusted annually in December based on the Construction Cost Index. These fees pay for the system to be expanded to meet future capacity and for the first time installation of infrastructure including, but not limited to pipes and pumps. Find the current fees here.
  • HBPW will assist you in determining what size water meter you may need. 
    • Single Family Homes: Most single family homes have a 5/8 inch diameter, and even some larger homes can be accommodated by this. If you choose to use city water for external landscape irrigation, you will likely require a larger water meter. There are increasing monthly fees based on the size of the meter to account for readiness to serve. 
    • You should hire a licensed plumber to install your plumbing from the home to the public main. If you are working in the public Right of Way, you or your contractor will need get a 'Street Cut' permit from the City Transportation Service Department by calling 616.928.2430. They will require that you be bonded and insured for such work. The Holland Board of Public Works is responsible for making the connection (tap) to the public main. We do not allow contractors or plumbers to do this work to ensure the work is done consistently and to protect the integrity of the overall system.
    • HBPW charges a fee for the water service tap based on the size of the water service pipe. The minimum service size is one inch for water services and four inch for sanitary sewer services. For services over two inches, a site plan review will be required, which can be found here. 
    • HBPW also has requirements for Fire Protection Services to protect the public drinking water supply, which can be found here. 
    • HBPW does require an inspection of the water service before it is buried and remember, all applicable building permits must be obtained.

HBPW will install the water meter after all asessments are paid or scheduled with a payment arraangement. All other fees will be billed out. Once complete, the valve outside the building that is near the property line will be opened and water will be fed into the new building.