We're glad to have you with us.
Holland Board of Public Works welcomes all of our new Park Township water customers. As a utility serving the Holland area, we are committed to delivering the same excellence in reliability and quality to you. Your water will continue to be supplied by the Holland BPW water treatment plant, but you will experience changes and new benefits as a direct retail customer. We are honored to serve you and hope to earn your trust. We appreciate being your service provider.
What to Expect Next
In June, if you are in our new service territory, you will receive a welcome packet from Holland Board of Public Works. This packet will detail what will happen as we transition to direct retail water service for Park Township. The packet will also include helpful information about your Holland BPW account.
Transitional elements that need to occur:
- Updating meters - Your water meter will be updated to a newer meter that will read in cubic feet rather than gallons.
- Billing frequency - Holland BPW bills monthly, rather than quarterly.
- Estimating meter reads - As we transition your account to the Holland BPW system and monthly billing, we will temporarily estimate monthly water usage in between actual meter reads that will take place every three months. HBPW will reconcile usage volume every three months with the physical meter reads. This process will take place until your meter is updated.
- Meter change outs - When we update your water meter, you might reconsider the size you have. If so, consult with an irrigation contractor.
In the meantime, you can explore the Holland BPW website for information about Holland BPW. Here are some links to helpful information:
- Understanding your bill
- Payment options
- MyHBPW Portal
- Customer Service
- Water Quality Report
- HBPW Annual Report
If you have questions, please feel free to reach out.
Call: (616) 355 -1500.
Our phone line is open:
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday - 7:30am-5:00pm
- Wednesday - 9:00am-5:00pm
You are welcome to contact the water department directly. However, if you have an emergency, please contact Customer Service for immediate service.
Connect with Us
Frequently Asked Questions
Who will be affected by this agreement?
Roughly half of Park Township water ratepayers (about 4,000 meters) will be affected by this change. Customers who reside in the green area shown on the map, labeled New HBPW Retail Service Area, will be changed from Park Township retail service to HBPW retail service on July 1, 2020.
- Ratepayers who reside south of Lake Macatawa, labeled South Side, are already covered by a full retail contract with HBPW, which will be added into this new agreement with no impact on rates or service. This area is shown in yellow on the map.
- Ratepayers in the “Consolidated System” region (who are currently billed by Holland Charter Township) will continue with billing and maintenance through Holland Charter Township. This area is shown in red on the map.
What is happening?
Park Township and Holland Board of Public Works (HBPW) officials are entering a new partnership that will bring much of the township’s water system into a full-retail relationship with HBPW. With the approval of the Park Township Board, HBPW Board and Holland City Council, HBPW will begin serving about 4,000 Park Township water customers beginning July 1, 2020.
Park Township does not have a dedicated water utility or staff to manage planning and maintenance of the system. The township relies on HBPW and Holland Charter Township for maintenance and installs. Until this agreement takes affect, Park Township handles billing and customer service internally. Park Township and HBPW began exploring the possibility of a closer relationship in 2019 to reduce costs, mitigate risk and simplify customer service and billing.
Why is this a good move?
This regional partnership brings high value to both Park Township ratepayers and HBPW ratepayers. A combined system reduces risk for both service areas and creates a lower and more predictable cost structure for the township.
With over 100 years of expertise as a water utility, HBPW has a strong reputation locally and across the country for reliable service, future-focused planning and community investment. We have a dedicated customer service team of knowledgeable professionals who are available Monday - Friday. In entering a full retail agreement with HBPW, Park Township customers will have more convenient billing and payment options.
How will this affect rates?
HBPW rates are about the same as current Park Township water rates. Most customers will notice a slight decrease in their HBPW bill in comparison to Park Township's most recent rate sheet. For example, a typical 5/8-inch metered residential water customer using an average of about 7,500 gallons of water per month would pay $30.77 per month on Park Township’s current rate and $28.84 per month on HBPW’s rate.
How will this affect billing & meters?
- Customers who currently receive bills from Park Township quarterly will begin receiving bills from HPBW on a monthly basis instead.
- In the following 18-24 months, HBPW will replace existing meters with new meters that read in cubic feet rather than gallons. Meter changes will come at no cost to customers.
- Holland BPW bills in CCF (hundred cubic feet), versus 1,000 gallons. One CCF is equal to 748 gallons. For example, if your are used to seeing 15 thousand gallon units, this is equivalent to 20 CCF.
When will I get my first water bill from Holland BPW?
- Customers who currently receive bills from Park Township will receive their first Holland BPW bill in August for estimated usage in the month of July.
- Your last bill from Park Township will arrive in July for the months of April, May and June.
What is MyHBPW and how do I register?
MyHBPW is Holland BPW's online customer portal. From here, you can view and pay your bill. You can also manage account settings for billing and notifications. Within MyHBPW, access valuable information about your account, plus learn about money-saving programs and conservation tips. If you are not currently a Holland BPW customer, you will be encouraged to register for MyHBPW once you receive your first bill.
Learn how to register: https://hollandbpw.com/en/customer-service/help#portal
How does this affect frontage and trunkage fees?
For developers and home-owners seeking new connections, Park Township will continue to manage the administration of frontage and trunkage fees.
How does this affect sanitary sewer billing?
This agreement will not immediately affect sewer billing. Park Township, Holland Charter Township and HBPW are exploring efficiencies in consolidating sewer billing for the affected area in the future. The agreement will not affect sewer rates.
What if I want to change my meter size?
In the switchover to new water meters, customers will automatically be fitted with a meter that matches their current size. If customers would like to reduce their meter size to reduce their bill (e.g. reducing a 1” meter to ⅝”), we strongly recommend consulting first with an irrigation professional to ensure a smaller meter can support the required volume. Customers have an opportunity to request this change with HBPW during their onboarding process.
Typically, there is a cost to change meter size. As Park Township customers are transitioned to HBPW water meters, fees to downsize will be waived.
Is this why Park Township recently raised water rates?
No, Park Township took action in October 2019 for a rate increase for usage beginning January 1, 2020. This was in response to a water asset management study, which revealed the previous rate structure was not sustainable to meet long term needs for repair and replacement. The rate increase was necessary regardless of a retail agreement with HBPW.